Last Shout - Posted by: mididoctors - Friday, 12 December 2014 14:54
so i bought myself CM:RT for xmas. kinda lacked the magic for CM2 somehow. good game thou< >

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 03:21:24 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: HTTPS Secure access now enabled.  https://dosomefink.com

+  DoSomefink.com
|-+  Politics & World Affairs
| |-+  Politics & World Affairs
| | |-+  Post-Mortem 2012
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Post-Mortem 2012  (Read 7186 times)
Wisbech_lad
Penguin Heretic
High Priest of Jamoomba

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: November 15, 2012, 06:20:31 AM »

It doesn't particularly.  Equality of opportunity should be actively pursued, equality of outcome not, apart from basic social security net.

Dems here would call you a Republican with views like that.

Yep, in UK I am certainly a Tory.  But most Tories would probably be considered RINOs by US conservatives.  Heck, the Economist, pretty much the standard bearer of UK liberalism (in the classic sense) endorsed Obama.  It is a centre right publication by any stretch of the imagination.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 06:23:55 AM by Wisbech_lad » Logged

"You are fucking wrong you retard, you are a lying sack of shit and you can blow a goat for all I care about your opinions.  I bet you molest children you pedo ass cocksucker."
Seminole
Loquitur Maximus

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 15, 2012, 09:46:04 AM »

What evidence is there that GOP doesn't spend like drunken sailors?

There isn't.
What we do have is evidence that they spend less than a Democrat controlled Congress.
It's less about the ideal than the alternative.

The approach to a balanced budget (it was never balanced under Clinton, as debt increased every year, you can verify this on the Treasury's own Debt to the Penny website) was because the Gingrinch Congress significantly reduced the growth rate of government spending (to below that of the measured growth rate of the economy - this was Reagan's theory on how to escape deficits).

Bush's medicare expansion was akin to Clinton's triangulation on welfare reform.  He tried to go halfway to what the Democrats wanted in order to remove the issue in front of the next election, but it just left the Democrats promising the electorate the other half of the loaf if they had power.

The guns 'n' butter charge on GWB and the GOP Congress is entirely merited, but should be viewed in light of how the Democrats ramped up spending as soon as they got the purse afterwards. 
Dirtweasle
Opening Day Veteran - Vogon Poet Laureate
Forum Celebrity

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 15, 2012, 09:51:31 AM »

That's a very fair treatment of the facts.

The Middle East is obviously an issue that has plagued the region for centuries.

-- President Obama answers a question about the Middle East in Tampa, Florida
Marlow
Loquitur Maximus

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 15, 2012, 10:03:54 AM »

Bush's medicare expansion was akin to Clinton's triangulation on welfare reform.  He tried to go halfway to what the Democrats wanted in order to remove the issue in front of the next election, but it just left the Democrats promising the electorate the other half of the loaf if they had power.

In fairness to bush, IIRC the Part D Medicare is the only Medicare expansion that has actually come in under budget estimates.  Unlike Obamacare which is, I believe, already running about 10-20% higher than budgeted.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-front for the urge to rule it.”
–H. L. Mencken
Seminole
Loquitur Maximus

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 15, 2012, 10:25:20 AM »

In fairness to bush, IIRC the Part D Medicare is the only Medicare expansion that has actually come in under budget estimates.

But the problem with Part D is that nothing was done to fund it.  It was a new entitlement extended entirely on the credit of Uncle Sam.  That's really bad policy.
Dirtweasle
Forum Celebrity

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: November 27, 2012, 09:29:21 AM »

During the 2012 campaign, we conservatives had great sport at the expense of the Obama administration's "Life of Julia"—a cartoon explaining the cradle-to-grave government programs that provided for Julia's happy and successful life.

The president, alas, had the last laugh. For the voting blocs that went so disproportionately for the president's re-election—notably, Latinos and single women—the Julia view of government clearly resonates. To put it another way, maybe Americans who have reason to feel insecure about their futures don't find a government that promises to be there for them when they need it all that menacing.  ...

[...]

... Let's concede that those who are pushing to expand government have one huge advantage. Their advantage is that their solutions are immediate, direct and easy to explain.  ...

[...]

... The conservative is rightly concerned with incentives and the long-term effects of any government program for relief, which are vital concerns for workable policy. The liberal is far less abstract: Here are some food stamps so your children don't go hungry tonight. ...

[...]

... Three decades ago, Milton and Rose Friedman illustrated the benefits of capitalism to millions of ordinary citizens through their television series and book, "Free to Choose." We need a similar popular effort today, ... 

Makes sense.

The Middle East is obviously an issue that has plagued the region for centuries.

bboyle
Opening Day Veteran
Loquitur Maximus

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 27, 2012, 05:38:25 PM »

"The guns 'n' butter charge on GWB and the GOP Congress is entirely merited, but should be viewed in light of how the Democrats ramped up spending as soon as they got the purse afterwards."

Either the GOP is guilty as charged or not...Manson's not any less a murdering scumbag because John Wayne Gacy was one too. The reality is that the Republicans have historically created huge debts while lying through their teeth that they are the party of fiscal probity.

It's simply not true...and yet year after year I listen to folks saying we have to boot out the Democrats because the GOP will fix things. They never have and they show no inclination to do so. At least Democrats do pretty much what they stand for.   

"BB is correct though. The vetting process has been very problematic."
Hakko
Cobra Kai - No Mercy

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 27, 2012, 05:47:35 PM »

"The guns 'n' butter charge on GWB and the GOP Congress is entirely merited, but should be viewed in light of how the Democrats ramped up spending as soon as they got the purse afterwards."

Either the GOP is guilty as charged or not...Manson's not any less a murdering scumbag because John Wayne Gacy was one too. The reality is that the Republicans have historically created huge debts while lying through their teeth that they are the party of fiscal probity.

It's simply not true...and yet year after year I listen to folks saying we have to boot out the Democrats because the GOP will fix things. They never have and they show no inclination to do so. At least Democrats do pretty much what they stand for.   

It's a fair cop, guv. But hypocrisy is the tribute that vice pays to virtue, and I'd rather vote for virtue.

“The great driving force of the oligarchs is the belief that they are doing right.” - Jack London, The Iron Heel
Seminole
Loquitur Maximus

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 27, 2012, 08:16:13 PM »

Either the GOP is guilty as charged or not...Manson's not any less a murdering scumbag because John Wayne Gacy was one too.

But Stalin is objectively worse than both, ja?
The choice from my perspective isn't Manson or the boyscout.

The reality is that the Republicans have historically created huge debts while lying through their teeth that they are the party of fiscal probity.

The problem is the Democrats are always howling for new, larger, entitlements.  Bush meets halfway on Medicare Part D and he's a miser.  Vote the Democrats, gramps, and they'll try to get uncle Sugar to buy all your drugs instead of most of them.  Fiscal probity?

Republicans say they want to cut entitlements, Democrats won't even talk about it (except to cut the funding sources for it by reducing payroll taxes 16%). 
I'm supposed to believe that the party who wants new entitlements and won't even entertain pairing down the ones we have now and can't afford is the party of fiscal probity?
There is more to the concept of being fiscally conservative than simply raising taxes some portion of however much you're trying to raise spending.

Forget all that.  It's this simple for me: the party that installed a ponzi scheme and called it retirement insurance system can't claim fiscal probity.  Ever.
Wisbech_lad
Penguin Heretic
High Priest of Jamoomba

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 30, 2012, 04:11:37 AM »

Asian Americans shifted 40% to democrat, 1992-2012.  31% voted for Clinton in 1992, 73% voted Obama 2012. 

http://themonkeycage.org/blog/2012/11/29/asian-americans-voted-democrat-we-should-not-be-surprised/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+themonkeycagefeed+%28The+Monkey+Cage%29

"You are fucking wrong you retard, you are a lying sack of shit and you can blow a goat for all I care about your opinions.  I bet you molest children you pedo ass cocksucker."
bboyle
Opening Day Veteran
Loquitur Maximus

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 30, 2012, 06:45:48 AM »

Yep...which I suggests pretty strongly that the GOP's problem with minorities goes deeper than simply easing their stance on immigration or becoming less inimical to state assistance...neither of which are huge issues for Asian Americans.

Dirtweasle
Forum Celebrity

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 30, 2012, 08:12:51 AM »

See No Evil  -  Media avert eyes from Democratic campaign finance hypocrisy

Bubble - bubble, toil and trouble.

Marlow
Loquitur Maximus

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: December 04, 2012, 06:02:29 AM »

Yep...which I suggests pretty strongly that the GOP's problem with minorities goes deeper than simply easing their stance on immigration or becoming less inimical to state assistance...neither of which are huge issues for Asian Americans.

When Republicans are called racist at every turn, it has an impact.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-front for the urge to rule it.”
–H. L. Mencken
bboyle
Opening Day Veteran
Loquitur Maximus

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 04, 2012, 07:42:21 AM »

So you think Asians are just propagandized into thinking the GOP is racist? There's no issue there at all?

Marlow
Loquitur Maximus

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 04, 2012, 07:49:41 AM »

I think a big part of the problem is the constant drumming of the GOP is the party of white men schtick.  So yes.

–H. L. Mencken
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length