Last Shout - Posted by: Rother - Thursday, 08 June 2017 08:01
What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, but please close the door to your hotel room first.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 27, 2017, 06:54:03 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: HTTPS Secure access now enabled.  https://dosomefink.com

+  DoSomefink.com
|-+  Do Somefink!
| |-+  Do somefink constructive.
| | |-+  Any wood turners here?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Any wood turners here?  (Read 1140 times)
rleete
Opening Day Veteran
Global Moderator
Cobra Kai - No Mercy

View Profile
« on: February 13, 2016, 07:48:00 PM »

Looking for some new lathe gouges.  First set was a HF cheap-o.  Not too bad once I figured out sharpening them, but the steel is crap, and they don't hold an edge worth a damn. 

So, what do you use, would you recommend the brand, and where did you get them?

Also, carbide or just tool steel?

I'm still only here to stalk Gyrene
ridgeway
Lord of the Nine Universes

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 03:33:45 PM »

Looking for some new lathe gouges.  First set was a HF cheap-o.  Not too bad once I figured out sharpening them, but the steel is crap, and they don't hold an edge worth a damn. 

So, what do you use, would you recommend the brand, and where did you get them?

Also, carbide or just tool steel?

I haven't done much turning in a while, but IIRC, the next step up from HF/Windsor Design is WoodRiver.  They are the Woodcraft house brand (I think) -- they look to be Chinese knockoffs of Henry Taylor tools.  Higher up the scale are Robert Sorby and Henry Taylor.  I have more experience with the HT brand and like them.

I would go with steel over carbide.  I have never used the carbide tools, but they look like cheating.  Most of the fun in turning is developing the skill to use the skews and gouges properly, rather than the end product.  The carbides seem to just be scrapers.   

I, for one, welcome our new Democrat overlords!  And I would like to remind them that as a loyal and trusted Republican, I will be able to assist them in rounding up workers for their underground sugar mines.
rleete
Opening Day Veteran
Global Moderator
Cobra Kai - No Mercy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 10:09:59 AM »

Yeah, I've looked at WoodRiver.  Pretty damn expensive.

Really pissed that there isn't a Chinese knockoff of the R.Sorby double caliper.  $35 for two pieces of stamped sheet metal riveted together is outrageous.  I'm making one from scraps salvaged at work.

And you are correct, the carbides are used as scrapers.  The one I made (round 3/8" carbide) is sold as a finishing scraper.  I used it to finish the bottom of the first bowl I made.

ridgeway
Lord of the Nine Universes

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 12:37:28 PM »

Yeah, I've looked at WoodRiver.  Pretty damn expensive.

Really pissed that there isn't a Chinese knockoff of the R.Sorby double caliper.  $35 for two pieces of stamped sheet metal riveted together is outrageous.  I'm making one from scraps salvaged at work.

And you are correct, the carbides are used as scrapers.  The one I made (round 3/8" carbide) is sold as a finishing scraper.  I used it to finish the bottom of the first bowl I made.

Check ebay (or the classifieds on the various woodworking forums) -- there are a lot of used turning tools out there, some at a big discount.

I, for one, welcome our new Democrat overlords!  And I would like to remind them that as a loyal and trusted Republican, I will be able to assist them in rounding up workers for their underground sugar mines.
rleete
Opening Day Veteran
Global Moderator
Cobra Kai - No Mercy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 06:49:58 PM »

Not related in any way, but an enjoyable way to spend a Friday off work. Penmaking!

I have been hunting, or at least going to the hunting camp for about 21 years now. My Father-in-Law, Don, invited me for the first time the year before I married his daughter. Don passed of cancer 2-1/2 years ago, and I haven't hunted for 4 or 5 years now. But I still go down to hang with the (old) guys, who are all friends of Don from way back. I'm the "kid" at 55! Since they're all getting up there in years, the camp (which is jointly owned) is now up for sale. So it may be the last time we all get together at the old place.

We built the cabin up there by hand (no electricity) with rough sawn red oak. I took home some of the leftover boards, and have had them stashed in the garage for well over a decade. Today I sawed off a chunk and cut it up into pen blanks. Bullet pens, because it is, after all, hunting camp. These all got made today, although I did some of the prep work last night.

I present 6 red oak pens for some very dear friends:

Lars
Master Blaster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2016, 06:26:06 AM »

I'm a dear friend.  wink

Very nice. Have you though of trying bone or antler?

"From getting rid of Saddam, to reducing violence, to stabilizing the country, to facilitating elections -- you have given Iraq the opportunity to stand on its own as a democratic country. That is an extraordinary achievement." - B. Obama
Elmar Bijlsma
Keeper Of The Booty
Cobra Kai - No Mercy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2016, 08:00:47 AM »

Are those pens bolt action? Nice, dude!

Ne Cede Malis
rleete
Opening Day Veteran
Global Moderator
Cobra Kai - No Mercy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2016, 08:14:00 AM »

Yes, they are bolt action.  Don't usually make those, as the kits are expensive. 

Yes, I have tried antler.  It stinks, bad.  It also splits very easily.  But the smell is what keeps me from using it more.

rleete
Opening Day Veteran
Global Moderator
Cobra Kai - No Mercy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2017, 02:50:47 PM »

Just ordered a Powertec dust collector (through Amazon, naturally) to help keep my lungs from imploding.  Many of the woods I turn can cause symptoms similar to a cold, and are pretty bad for your respiratory system.

Lars
Master Blaster

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2017, 04:22:02 PM »

"From getting rid of Saddam, to reducing violence, to stabilizing the country, to facilitating elections -- you have given Iraq the opportunity to stand on its own as a democratic country. That is an extraordinary achievement." - B. Obama
Lars
Master Blaster

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2017, 04:25:40 PM »

A big thank you goes out to rleete for the above pen.  Nice work, several people have asked where I got it.  Just the thing for signing bills at the shipper.

And if somebody with a decent photo editor and mod privileges could resize that pic, I'd appreciate that too,

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length