Last Shout - Posted by: rleete - Sunday, 23 April 2017 14:28
Nothing better than a fresh cup of coffee Sunday morning.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2017, 08:58:45 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: HTTPS Secure access now enabled.  https://dosomefink.com

+  DoSomefink.com
|-+  Politics & World Affairs
| |-+  Politics & World Affairs
| | |-+  Over/Under on Impeachment
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Over/Under on Impeachment  (Read 1297 times)
Lars
Master Blaster

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2017, 01:32:12 PM »

btw, did they ever get that gal from the IRS who pleaded the 5th?

Wouldn't get your hopes up on Flynn, bboyle.

"From getting rid of Saddam, to reducing violence, to stabilizing the country, to facilitating elections -- you have given Iraq the opportunity to stand on its own as a democratic country. That is an extraordinary achievement." - B. Obama
bboyle
Opening Day Veteran
Loquitur Maximus

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2017, 01:40:52 PM »

Flynn's has multiple problems beyond the direct contacts with Russia where it's not clear he violated the law anyway. His payments from Turkey, his payments from RT that he didn't declare and belated FARA filing are where I expect he will get into trouble. In addition, the FBI didn't tell his lawyer to come back to discuss immunity...the FBI refused it outright. That's a very bad sign. And his lawyer going public wasn't exactly a shot across the bows of Jim Comey. It puts on pressure on him at all. It was a shot across the bow of anyone who his testimony could hurt. 

"BB is correct though. The vetting process has been very problematic."
Lars
Master Blaster

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2017, 02:42:49 PM »

So he takes the 5th and maybe takes the fall for his own other failings.  Fail to see how this leads to a Trump impeachment.

Btw, maybe that's why the FBI won't give him immunity. They know he doesn't know squat about Trump, just wants cover for some other peccadillo.  Been beating the wife or somfink.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 02:59:08 PM by Lars » Logged

"From getting rid of Saddam, to reducing violence, to stabilizing the country, to facilitating elections -- you have given Iraq the opportunity to stand on its own as a democratic country. That is an extraordinary achievement." - B. Obama
Hakko
Cobra Kai - No Mercy

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2017, 03:09:00 PM »

Maybe they're afraid that if they give him immunity, he'll pull an Ollie North. And wouldn't that be fun?

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into. -- Jonathan Swift
bboyle
Opening Day Veteran
Loquitur Maximus

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2017, 04:28:08 PM »

That's absolutely why the committees aren't jumping. They gave it to North before they understood the full scope of what he had done.

bboyle
Opening Day Veteran
Loquitur Maximus

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2017, 04:29:01 PM »

Lurker,

I'm skeptical impeachment will happen. I expect more like an administration that's a lame duck in it's second year.

dfgardner
Cobra Kai - No Mercy

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2017, 05:07:33 PM »

You should hesitate to judge other people's orbit by the apogee of your own.

Posting "I know people" on some obscure blog certainly means you are in outer space....I agree with that?
bboyle
Opening Day Veteran
Loquitur Maximus

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2017, 06:56:49 PM »

You think this blog is obscure?

In other news:

https://www.ft.com/content/40498d94-155b-11e7-80f4-13e067d5072c

Hakko
Cobra Kai - No Mercy

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2017, 07:37:08 PM »

You think this blog is obscure?

In other news:

https://www.ft.com/content/40498d94-155b-11e7-80f4-13e067d5072c

Paywalled

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into. -- Jonathan Swift
Lurkur
Forum Ninja

She's just waiting' for November...

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2017, 05:29:17 AM »

Lurker,

I'm skeptical impeachment will happen. I expect more like an administration that's a lame duck in it's second year.

So the question becomes whether that's a bug or a feature.
mididoctors
Opening Day Veteran
Hoopy Frood

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2017, 05:59:48 AM »

Lurker,

mixed bag. reworking running the country around a dysfunctional but contained admin would probably introduce a new myriad of corrupt practices on one hand while streamlining bureaucracy on the other.

people often go on how corrupt Washington and gubment is but fail to really get how much worse it could get.

"Oversimplifying greatly, it's as though the US borrowed a pile of money from China in order to fight a war to free up oil supply in Iraq in order that China could become the greatest industrial power the world has ever seen.."
rleete
Opening Day Veteran
Global Moderator
Cobra Kai - No Mercy

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2017, 06:22:01 AM »

Lurker,

Quoted for truth.

I'm still only here to stalk Gyrene
bboyle
Opening Day Veteran
Loquitur Maximus

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2017, 06:27:52 AM »

Lurker,

We haven't experienced a serious crisis with the President powerless and out to lunch since 1861. The historical record suggests the last time didn't go well.

Wolfpack
High Priest of Jamoomba

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2017, 08:17:12 AM »

Considering how much power the presidency has usurped from the other branches of government since the Civil War, is having a president stripped of a good bit of power really a bad thing?  Most of our checks and balances went by the wayside a good while back, so long as they weren't TOO obvious about it.  The trick would be making sure that the next president wasn't able to simply come in and pick up where the past few have left off.  That would be the impossible dream though, since both sides are so sure their guy (or gal) will be the next president, that making sure constitutional checks are put back into place is the furthest thing from their mind. 

If it does nothing else, a Trump presidency that makes congress at least consider picking up some of the power they've abrogated to the presidency over the past 150 years wouldn't be a bad thing would it?  Not that the congress is any great panacea, but at least it's not a single figure making all the decisions.
mididoctors
Opening Day Veteran
Hoopy Frood

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2017, 09:00:34 AM »

Considering how much power the presidency has usurped from the other branches of government since the Civil War, is having a president stripped of a good bit of power really a bad thing?  Most of our checks and balances went by the wayside a good while back, so long as they weren't TOO obvious about it.  The trick would be making sure that the next president wasn't able to simply come in and pick up where the past few have left off.  That would be the impossible dream though, since both sides are so sure their guy (or gal) will be the next president, that making sure constitutional checks are put back into place is the furthest thing from their mind. 

If it does nothing else, a Trump presidency that makes congress at least consider picking up some of the power they've abrogated to the presidency over the past 150 years wouldn't be a bad thing would it?  Not that the congress is any great panacea, but at least it's not a single figure making all the decisions.

its the manner you put in place to achieve it that brings judgement.

and its also this after the fact silver lining argument that is frankly reckless face saving.

its disturbing.

is the congress ready to take up the slack in a transparent and less venal manner?

"Oversimplifying greatly, it's as though the US borrowed a pile of money from China in order to fight a war to free up oil supply in Iraq in order that China could become the greatest industrial power the world has ever seen.."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length